Thanks for the comments, Elizabeth and Lynette!! The "big" squares (which are really only about an inch wide and tall) were knit on 5s. The book suggested 6s, so I started with 7s, but that was way too big. I really enjoyed knitting with the wire, though it certainly took some getting used to. The hardest part was getting the wire to come off the "hank" properly. That was a big pain. But if I could figure that out, I'd honestly love to knit a cuff bracelet out of this stuff!
I started knitting the crepe-paper crown out of Alterknits yesterday. I was enjoying it and did about two or three rows when a stitch in the row below the current row ripped. End of knitting with crepe paper, at least for the time being. But I'd like to try it again and make a crown for Ellie. I was using the leftover spring-green crepe paper from her first birthday party a few weeks ago.
In the realm of knitting with yarn, the bearish creature now has two legs, and I bought stuffing for him/her last night.